January 5, 2010

Virgin Test


Re-read the title to this post....

Now get your mind out of the gutter.
At the urging of an acquaintance, I decided it was time to get the test. I got tested for HIV and STD's for the very first time in my life. This testing presented some very interesting thoughts and realizations in my mind.

Thoughts
-----------------------------

1- A good Mormon should never have to take any test of this sort. We don't partake in any sexual activity until marriage and then since we and our wife have been virtuous there is no need to be tested.

2- What if someone see's me?
3- I shouldn't be here. If I had better self discipline I wouldn't be here. I don't want to have to come back here. I want to get my life together again.

Realization
------------------------

1- It is so nice to be in this office with a bunch of gay men, and not have to worry about someone wondering if I am gay and judging me.

2-There are stereotypical gay men in here: high voices, feminine standing positions, and mannerisms, but they are extremely nice and welcoming.

3- There are non-stereotypical gay men in here (albeit very few). They are equally welcoming.



4 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I got tested. I was scared out of my mind and even thought to myself of ways to end things if I was positive. Not a pleasant experience, but it was a good wake-up call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all the tests come back negative. My thoughts are with you.

    And, I like your new blog design. And, the new parameters you have put on comments, posting for yourself, etc. I have done the same for myself.

    As the Brits say, Good on ya! :)

    Happy night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think #1 is a bit of a judgmental generalization. People make mistakes, marriages end in divorce, and others are cheated on by a spouse through no fault of their own. There are also people who convert to the gospel or "celibacy before marriage" later on in life, after already being sexually active. A few STDs can even be transmitted by kissing or "safer" contact. It almost feels like you are saying people deserve to get an STD because of their "promiscuous" behaviors. I think a lot of our religious communities treat STDS or HIV/AIDS like leprosy, and it's really a shame that we have very clear biblical examples that clearly say we should do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El Genio, this post was written four year ago as I was just coming out and did not understand the world much. I don't know why it is showing as just being posted on the Directory, but please know this is a much younger and less informed me who wrote this. I just don't know how to get the Directory to not show this as a present post.

      Delete