August 21, 2009

August 21st 2009 - Overprotective Parents

(I will finish the friends series but there are other things I deam time sensitive that I will do first.)

I love my parents, I really do. One thing they both did last week really got blood boiling.


I have an acquaintance from high school, happens to be gay (there is no chemistry between us though), that I haven't seen since HS. I decided it was time for us to hang out. We had been talking about it for so long, but never met up.

So last Monday night, we planned to go see a movie. It was a last minuet decision. So after family home evening at singles ward, I came in my folks room and told them I was going out with a friend to see a movie.

I got to the movie, and before my friend showed up I got two separate texts from my parents. My fathers text read, "Are you being true to your covenants?" and my mothers, "Please make good choices, I love you." I knew right away they both thought my movie night was more than just a movie.

I have kept my mom from knowing my times with guys, so she had no legitimate concern, but I know she is worried out of love. My father knows of my past with guys, and he had legitimate reason to be concerned, but it just sucks for those times I'm not going out to..... you know.

I texted back, "He is just a friend and were are just seeing a movie." I was quite upset at their accusation and hoped it read clearly in the text. My father didn't respond, but my mom did. "Ok, I'm sorry, I just thought it was strange you were meeting someone you haven't talked to in a really long time, (fair point). I'm sorry for not trusting you. I love you."

During the movie this text came through, "I want to talk to you, please wake me when you get home." I could tell she was sorry and upset she didn't trust me. I got home and she apologized and was crying.

I understand my parents concern, it is just annoying. It will be nice to be in Portland, living on my own.



Countdown to Portland
5 Weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment