July 19, 2009

The Conversation Never Spoken


I didn't wimp out, I didn't change the subject, and I most definitely didn't lie.

So as I posted earlier I was going to use this vacation back home to tell my BFF since birth that I was gay. Well I didn't, but let me explain why.

As I posted earlier my friend has been going through a lot of things in her life, and this week things just piled on top of her. Things became harder for her than they have ever been. I knew that by telling her about me, I would only had to her stress and complicated life, and so out of respect I had pre-determined not to tell her.

On top of that decision, I only had a 30 second conversation with her at her work before I had to run back to the car to head off to our families next planned activity, but it was good to see her and give her a hug across the counter.

I am already planning another trip up, (by myself) to tell her before I'm off to college. I talked to her on the phone and she said there is a lot more to her story than she has told me, so I'm sure we can have a crying, heart gushing fest together.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you the best when you tell her. I'm always surprised by their reactions when I tell people my own age. More often than not, they assure me that their perception of me hasn't changed and wonder why I'm worried they will freak out. I think our generation is better prepared to accept diversity within the Church because we've been indoctrinated with Sesame Street and primary songs about helping others who are different ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timing is everything Brother. "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven..." Ecclesiastes 3:1.

    Your decision to wait until her stress level was lower and indications of a thoughtful and considerate young man. You didn't "wimp out" at all. On the contrary, you were strong enough to wait for the right opportunity.

    Good for you! There isn't enough of that attitude in this world.

    ReplyDelete